The celebrity mums who inspired me by giving birth over 40
I sat in the hairdressers’ salon with a stack of gossip magazines on my lap, sipping coffee, with an urgent need to get rid of my grey roots. It wasn’t long before I’d flicked through the first magazine and landed on a scoop about older pregnant celebs.
A whole slew of older stars had announced they were expecting children in 2015. Having just miscarried, I wondered just how many of them had actually struggled to get pregnant. Was my own plan to have children at 40 realistic, or were the celeb stories giving women like myself false hope?
Did I have ridiculous expectations? Surely fertility didn’t discriminate. I was emotionally ready for a baby. I’d established a career, taken time to see the world and had plenty life lessons to pass down to my little one. I needed to hear stories that made me think “Well, if she can do it, maybe I can too…”
If it was really so hard to get pregnant after 40, I don’t think I would have been able to find as many celebrities who had done it! While I was trying to conceive, I found it inspiring to read the stories of well-known women who had given birth in their 40s.
Below is a list of as many mummies over 40 that I could find. Please note that the ages and info were compiled via information from the internet, so I understand that a few things could stand to be corrected, but to my knowledge it’s accurate. They include both natural conceptions and IVF.
- Former Spice Girl Geri Horner has spiced up her life with the arrival of a baby boy at 44.
- Halle Berry was 41 when she had her first child, daughter Nahla Ariela Aubry, in 2008. Berry told Harper’s Bazaar: “My pregnancy was amazing. I was happy that whole time, I felt good, I had energy, I was like Superwoman. I wish I could feel like that for the rest of my life, that’s how fantastic it was.” Berry was 47 when she gave birth to her second child, Maceo.
- Gwen Stefani was 44 when she had Apollo Bowie Flynn. She was already mum to Kingston and Zuma.
- Gossip Girl actress Kelly Rutherford was 40 when she had her baby.
- Rachel Zoe was 42 when she announced she was expecting her second child with husband Rodger Berman on her site, The Zoe Report.
- Susan Sarandon gave birth to her first child, daughter Eva Amurri, at 39 and went on to have sons Jack Henry at 42 and Miles Guthrie at 45.
- Kim Basinger had daughter Ireland — with then-hubby Alec Baldwin — when she was 41.
- Actress Eva Mendes was 40 when she had her baby.
- Actress Jane Seymour had twins at 44. Seymour went public about her use of fertility treatments to conceive her twins.
- Superstar Janet Jackson dominated the headlines recently with news of her first baby at 50.
- Kelly Preston and John Travolta had son Benjamin in 2010 at 48.
- Actress Helena Bonham Carter was 41 when she gave birth to a baby girl.
- Marcia Gay Harden was 44 when she had twins Hudson and Julitta Dee. Her first daughter, Eulala Grace, was born when Harden was 41.
- Tina Fey gave birth to baby number two, Penelope, at 41.
- Alyssa Milano gave birth to baby Elizabella at 41.
- Actress Amanda Holden was 40 when she gave birth.
- Meryl Streep had her fourth child, Louisa Jacobson Gummer, in 1991 at 41.
- Actress Jenna Fischer was 40 when she had her baby.
- Salma Hayek was 40 when she gave birth to daughter, Valentina Paloma Pinault, with husband Francois-Henri Pinault. She said: “I’m a more fulfilled human being now, and I probably wouldn’t have been 10 years ago. She gets a better mother for being born now.”
- Brooke Shields had daughter Grier in 2006 at the age of 41.
- Actress Thandie Newton was 41 when she had her baby.
- Celine Dion was 42 when she gave birth to twin boys, Eddy and Nelson, in 2010.
- In 2002, at 46, Geena Davis gave birth to daughter Alizeh. Then in 2004, the 48-year-old had twin sons, Kian and Kaiis.
- Supermodel Cheryl Tiegs had her first child, Zack, at age 44 with then-husband Anthony Peck.
- Helen Hunt was 40 when her daughter, Makena Lei Gordon Carnahan, was born.
- Nicole Kidman gave birth to her first biological child, Sunday Rose, at the age of 40 in 2008.
- Oscar-winning actress Emma Thompson had a baby at 40. She gave birth to a daughter, Gaia Romily. Gaia was conceived through IVF treatment by Thompson with actor husband Greg Wise.
- Naomi Watts began building her family in 2007 with the birth of Sasha at the age of 39. She added to it a year later when Samuel was born in December 2008, and she was 40.
- One of the most anticipated celebrity births of 2011, 42-year-old Mariah Carey gave birth to twins Moroccan and Monroe in April that year. About trying for a successful pregnancy after a miscarriage, Mariah said: “The main thing I did that was tough, was to go on progesterone like every month . . . and then when I was pregnant, I had to stay with the progesterone for 10 weeks. It minimizes the chance of miscarriage by 50 percent.”
- In April 2002, Julianne Moore welcomed her second child, Liv, at the age of 41. Her first child, Caleb, is five years older.
- In 2001, at 49, Beverly D’Angelo gave birth to twins Anton and Olivia Pacino with Al Pacino.
- After a complicated pregnancy followed by a taxing labor and delivery, Mira Sorvino delivered her third child, Holden Paul Terry, in June 2009 at age 41 and her fourth child, daughter Lucia, in May 2012 at age 44. Sorvino and husband Chris Backus were already parents to Johnny Christopher King and Mattea Angel.
- Actress Jennifer Connelly was 40 when she and husband Paul Bettany added a daughter to their all-boy brood. Agnes Lark joined big brothers Kai, 13, and Stellan, 7, in May 2011.
- Uma Thurman welcomed her third child, Rosalind Arusha Arkadina Altalune Florence Thurman-Busson, in July 2012 at 42.
- Madonna had son Rocco in 2000 at 41.
- Actress Lisa Hartman-Black had a baby at 44.
- Actress Mimi Rogers had a baby at 45.
- Supermodel Iman had a baby at 44.
- Supermodel and ex-wife of Mick Jagger, Jerry Hall, had a baby at 41.
- Actress Annette Benning had her baby at 41.
- Harry Potter author, JK Rowling, gave birth to a baby boy at 37 and then a baby girl at 39.
- Lincolnshire-born actress Patricia Hodge had her sons in her 40s. She gave birth to sons Alexander and Edward in her forties.
- Actress Caroline Quentin had a baby at 43.
- TV Presenter Mariella Frostrup gave birth to her first baby in 2004 at 41.
- Actress Courteney Cox Arquette gave birth to her first child in 2004 at 41.
- Helen Fielding, author of Bridget Jones’ Diary, had a baby at 43 and a baby at 48.
- Actress Meera Syal gave birth to a baby boy in 2005 at 44.
- Actress Jennifer Beals gave birth to a baby girl in November 2005 at 41.
- Actress Holly Hunter gave birth to twins in January 2006 at 47.
- BBC TV Presenter Sian Williams gave birth to a third son in October 2006 at 41. She then gave birth to a daughter in March 2009 at 44.
- Ex-Olympic swimmer and TV Presenter, Sharron Davies gave birth to a baby boy in January 2007 at 44.
- Choreographer and TV Presenter, Arlene Phillips had her youngest daughter at 47.
- TV Presenter Ulrika Johnsson gave birth to her fourth child in 2008 at 40.
- TV and Radio Presenter Kate Silverton gave birth to a baby girl, Clemency Florence Rose, in November 2011 at 41.
- TV Presenter Jackie Brambles gave birth to a baby girl in March 2007 at 40.
- Actress Marcia Cross gave birth to twin girls in February 2007 at 44.
NB: I got pregnant at 40 and didn’t see a fertility doctor. If you take good care of yourself, take the right supplements, get enough exercise, eat the right foods, keep a positive attitude, and are able to fix or rule out medical issues… you can get pregnant!